Punk Poetry/Music/Food/Fashion/Travels with Maria

  • * Punk Poetry * Music * Food * Travel * Fashion *Novels *Poets I Love, Ones I Don't *Poetry Workshops * Gender Issues

Monday, February 7, 2011

Chronicles on Violence: The Congo Sequence

Eve Ensler and River
Dr. Denis Mukwege and River


Brandi Walker, me and my son
Chronicles on Violence: The Congo Poems with a forward by the author:

The following series of poems is for publication in an anthology of 18 word poems. Each of the eighteen poets is submitting 18 poems. My poems are a sequence based on gender-based violence--a cheerful topic I know, but one which needs much, much more discussion. I have previously published the first 10 or so pieces. Here is a sample from the section on the Democratic Republic of the Congo. One of my dearest friends, Brandi Walker (in above photo) works in the Congo against gender-based violence and volunteered at Panzi Hospital for 2 years. Two years ago I was fortunate enough to meet Dr. Denis Mukwege of Panzi hospital when he was out with Eve Ensler. This picture is of him and my son, and Eve with my son. He should win the Nobel Peace Prize for his work. Mark Cobley of Red Ceilings Press in the UK was kind enough to ask me to submit, check him out: The Red Ceilings. The anthology will be published by Knives, Forks and Spoons Press. For more information about the Congo please go to: Friends of the Congo


Chronicles on Violence: A Poem Sequence (con't)



Democratic Republic of the Congo I

So many shadows
the moon sharpens
into light.

Your body hard-packed
mud, against their
thrust and heave.

Democratic Republic of the Congo II

“They killed my brother
because he would not
have sex with me.”

No answer
in Swahili
or French.

Democratic Republic of the Congo III


Firewood bends her
to the child
of the soldier
who killed
her brother.

Here’s an X for him.

Birdsong

She paints
hours into
finch’s wings--
watches them float
in linseed oil.

Throws
her bed
away.

Sleeps
on the
floor.

1 comment:

  1. The 1st stansa reflects how the moon lights up the night.3rd She was being force to have sex with her brother.4th both refuced,and they killed him, her brother. She wondered why, looking for answeres;but no one gave her any answeres.5th fells no mercy for the man who took the life of her brother, with only an X to remember him by.6th The sister expresses her feelinig through painting of freedom is, and something that is prohibited to them.7&8th i picture a homeless women, whose given up on finding justice for her love one

    ReplyDelete