Punk Poetry/Music/Food/Fashion/Travels with Maria

  • * Punk Poetry * Music * Food * Travel * Fashion *Novels *Poets I Love, Ones I Don't *Poetry Workshops * Gender Issues

Monday, July 11, 2011

Blondie y Los Tres Osos



Blondie y Los Tres Osos
Rubia awoke curled between two Hefty sacks smelling of bread and day old fish.  She punched into one and found a roll she could eat, and a plastic knife that seemed clean enough.
She’d never been in this barrio before but knew that left of the mural of Xochiquetzal, she’d find the apartment with the blue door and a place to sleep.
She touched the letter folded inside her bra, and tried not to think of the desert, the truck driver who picked her up, or the payment she’d made for the ride.
Soon she arrived at the blue door and knocked, but no one answered. She saw three windows. The first was too high, the second too narrow, but the third one seemed like she could fit her way inside. She took out her plastic knife and pried off the screen and slipped inside. The house felt as though a mad mariachi band had just finished playing. 
A piñata in the shape of a bear lay on its side, a hole in the belly revealing atomic fire balls, tootsie rolls and bubble gum whistles. The table spread out before in a feast: enchiladas, chicken in mole sauce, and chile verde. Her mouth watered. She stuck her finger into the chile verde.
            “Fuck that’s hot.” Her taste buds felt as though they’d been gone over with a very sharp razor.
Then she took the cake knife and carved out a hunk of enchilada.
            “¡Ay de mí! She yelled, tears streaming down her face.
Then Rubia grabbed dipped a wooden spoon it into the velvety mole sauce. The chocolate coated her seared tongue and she gorged herself, then began to look around for somewhere to sleep.
The couch’s springs poked into her like a cattle prod. She went into the bedroom and leaped onto a double bed, but it reminded her too much of sleeping on a slab of rock. She rolled off and saw a small bed. She slipped under the crocheted blanket and fell asleep.
            The Osezno’s, Pablo, Luz and Junior, arrived home and noticed something was wrong. Pablo signaled to his wife and child to go into the kitchen area and pulled a gun out of the back of his jeans. He padded silently across the room and pointed at the table. Enchilada and verde sauce speckled the table, and what was worse the mole was almost gone. Suddenly he heard snoring in the bedroom and walked inside.
            “Who the fuck are you bitch, coming in our house eating our food?” he boomed.
Rubia opened her eyes to the barrel of a homemade zip gun. Just then Luz and Junior poked their heads around the corner.
            “Who’s this blonde puta Pablo?” she screamed.
            “Fuck, I don’t know, some stupid bitch in Junior’s bed. I’ve never seen her before, back off woman.”
Just then Junior pointed a finger and said, ”Look.” They all followed his finger to where Rubia’s blanket had dropped away. A necklace of bruises trailed down to arms riddled with what appeared to be cigarette burns.
She looked into Luz’s eyes and said, “Luzita, don’t you recognize me?”
And just then Luz did, it was her cousin Ruby from Juarez. She sat down next to her on Junior’s bed and started crying. And that’s when Rubia told them her story. By the time she finished, Pablo had called some of his Quarteño friends and said he’d be back that evening to celebrate Junior’s birthday.
That night, when it came time to hit the piñata, Ruby beat it with a baseball bat so hard its head split open on the sidewalk and the candy spewed everywhere. That’s when Pablo returned with his friends, ready to enjoy the feast.

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a unique way to use the fairy tale of Goldilocks and the Three Bears as a template to tell a story about the victimization of women and in particular those from a Mexican heritage. I see the themes of violence against women, cultural themes from Mexico, gang involvement, violence, and rage. K Black

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with Kathy (excuse me if your name is incorrect). I too find the Mexican culture, due to its slang and language, very powerful. Another thing I can agree with, Kathy's post, is how women are victimized due to abuse. It was a very creative fairytale because of the culture that had been presented as well as very modern.
    S Sandoval

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This rendition of 'Goldilocks and the Three Bears' is a great and new view of the story. The Hispanic culture is so rich in many different ways. I agree with Kathy and the many different themes that are in this remake. The idea of hurt, family, but also celebration at the end. Modern but still has the 'old school' twist.

    M.Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  7. In this modernized story of the fairytale I felt like Blondie does whatever it takes to escape an abusive and violent place in hopes to find some familiarity and a peace of mind. In relation, I think that many abused women attempt to do the same in order to survive. Today, women try to find support from family, friends, and the community knowing that they could be judged or unaccepted. I think the aggression that was taken out on the pinata was a result of knowing that you can overcome turmoil and rise above it, that life doesn't have to be that (abusive) way.
    K.Villamar

    ReplyDelete
  8. This retelling of the classic fairytale is edgy, almost to the point of being too dark. I did like how it was more true to life than the original. The cultural clichés didn't allow me to enjoy the story as much as I wanted to. Why did the cousin's husband have to be a gang member, specifically a Norteño?

    This story also helped to remind me of the hazards a lone female can encounter in the world when Rubia remembers about the payment she exchanged for a ride. Not too much detail was given as to the payment, but it was enough.

    A. Valles

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really loved the remake of this fairy tale. Those who have ever seen or know anyone in an abusive relationship, or heard about what goes on in them, knows that women will do whatever it takes to survive. I also happened to really enjoy the cultural aspect as well as the darkness this story had. The fact that this fairy tale is told in such a realistic and modern approach is just fascinating. There is no sugar coating or cliche moral to be found, just straightforward truth.
    C. Haddan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading this modern version of Goldilocks. It's very up to date and it's a clear example of today's problems. The one thing I disliked when reading was that I found the characters too stereotyped as Latinos. I thought this new remake was to reflect on today's current problems and open our eyes to see the world is not all pink and magical.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Ana in that the cliche of the family being Mexican would automatically make them involved with gangs. I get that the story is suppose to be modern and suit today's world but the cursing made me somewhat uncomfortable (mostly because I know the children's fairy tale version).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed your remake on goldielocks. Very creative way of taking a story that meant to address children in a mild manner and add fuck to it. That threw me off as well. Definitely not what I thought I was about to read but still all around a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truth is beauty. I LOVED reading this because, for one, Blondie cursed and I personally feel that if I forced to break into another person's house and steal food I’m sure I would cuss too, making this story much more believable and realistic to the reader. Secondly, it brings direct attention to the problem with modern abuse of women, whether it is physical or sexual. Sadly, some people ignore the fact that women are still being taken advantaged of every day, regardless of how “advanced” and equal society thinks it is. The fact that Blondie doesn’t run away in the end, leaving the (bears) confused was a more satisfying ending because it leaves the reader with a sense of closure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This story caught me off guard, at first I just thought it was a Mexican version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Then I realized it had a variety of stories also incorporated. As I kept reading I found myself really amused and surprised with each new outcome that came about. Especially the vulgar language, I loved it! It made me think, wow, I can really write like this? It made me laugh because I know people that speak that way on a daily basis; including me. The only difference is that I know when it’s appropriate and when it’s not.
    I loved how instead of porridge, there was all types of Mexican food, like chicken in mole, enchiladas, and my favorite: chile verde. Goldilocks of course, ate the chicken in mole because the other stuff burned her tongue. When Pablo finally found Goldilocks sleeping in Junior’s bed, it reminded of a gangster movie scene the way that he spoke to her. To my surprise, they don’t chase her away like all the other typical Goldilocks stories. Instead, she is related to Luz, and she had been badly abused from the looks of her cigarette burns. At the end, they all celebrate together, including Pablo’s guests, the Norteños.
    When Goldilocks beats up the piñata, I don’t know if it’s just me, but I think the piñata symbolizes the people that hurt her. The message for this story is a bit different, I think that things are not always what they seem, so don’t jump to conclusions and make a mistake that can’t be taken back. If they would have shot Goldilocks, then Luz would have had a dead cousin in Junior’s bed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very astute comments! It is always a risk to use cultural stereotypes, the fairy tale form lends itself to such stereotyping. I believe part of the point of the story is also to underline said stereotypes so they can enter into the discussion of the story as well. Being Mexican allows me a bit more leeway as regards using such tropes as gang membership, machismo, etc, but let's be clear, just because all the middle eastern folks in Aladdin murder, does not mean all middle eastern folks are murderers.
    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that this version of the story was funny and well described. Also, very tasteful because of the Enchiladas. I did not see anything wrong about the story.

    ReplyDelete