Punk Poetry/Music/Food/Fashion/Travels with Maria

  • * Punk Poetry * Music * Food * Travel * Fashion *Novels *Poets I Love, Ones I Don't *Poetry Workshops * Gender Issues

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Trinity River Poem




Trinity River

All its weight channels between
slender shoots of rock.  Fast molasses.
Each drop careens toward the sea
past my fly-fishing husband
hand lining a spent trout into his net.
He’s a shallow pool I cannot float upon. 
Our currents in opposite light:
his in speckled shade, mine in full sun.

Our son sifts gold dust through his shirt as he swims, 
then flops goose-pimpled on a white boulder.
A glint that binds, gold in black water,
the brilliance that blinds makes me see--
we’ve been mining this river for years,
but there’s nothing left that sparkles, only sparks.

Originally published as  "El Rio" in  Two Review

No comments:

Post a Comment