Punk Poetry/Music/Food/Fashion/Travels with Maria

  • * Punk Poetry * Music * Food * Travel * Fashion *Novels *Poets I Love, Ones I Don't *Poetry Workshops * Gender Issues

Thursday, August 29, 2013



The Monterey Bay Poetry Consortium Presents:


Maria Garcia Teutsch
 
&
 
David Swanger
Sunday, September 8, 2:00 p.m.

$5.00 Admission

East Village Coffee Lounge,

498 Washington Street, Monterey

Maria Garcia Teutsch is a poet, editor and educator. She teaches poetry and creative writing at Hartnell College. She serves as editor-in-chief of the Homestead Review as well as Ping-Pong journal of art and literature published by the Henry Miller Memorial Library in Big Sur, California. She has recent or forthcoming publications in Far Enough East, Talisman, Badlands, WomenArts Quarterly, Phren-z and Unshod Quills. For more info: mariateutsch.blogspot.com

David Swanger is the Poet Laureate of Santa Cruz County. His most recent book, Wayne's College of Beauty, won the John Ciardi Award from BkMk Press He has four other books of poetry, several chapbooks, a book about poetry and another about aesthetic education. His fellowships include awards in poetry from the National Endowment for the Arts and the California Arts Council.



Upcoming Reading:

Oct. 13---Kathleen Conley and Joanna Martin

For more information, please contact John Laue: (831) 684-0854


Cosponsored by the Monterey Bay Poetry Consortium, Poetry Slow Down on KXRA540

2 comments:

  1. This is Alyssa Alvarez from your Eng 2 class, I really enjoyed your poems from the poetry reading. I had never really encountered your work until then, and I think it'd really amazing. Your poem to your husband about the orange flowers was probably my favorite of the afternoon. I liked really only one of the fellow who was there also, the poem Scar. All of his other poems besides that one did not spark my interest, they seemed too people pleasing for my taste. Overall I did have a great time, and I appreciate the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I have never been so interested in poetry. The reason might be because in my opinion, many poets tend to use very sophisticated words, so it makes me find the poems kind of hard and not able to understand them at all (even in Spanish). However, I enjoyed attending the poetry reading and I am glad I had the opportunity to be there. David Swanger's poem about his tattoo, Scar, is the one I liked of Mr. Swanger's poems. But the poem which I really enjoyed and captured my attention is The Apologist. You really did an excellent job and I could see that it is not just about reading a poem, it is about feel it :)

    ReplyDelete